31. The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven. John Milton
30. The life process is reinforcing whether headed for heaven or for hell. David Brazier, Zen Therapy
This one might bare a little elaboration. What Brazier is saying is that our conditioning leads to our thoughts and behavior. Unmonitored it is reinforced, and we continue in the same direction. The goal is awareness of thinking and the ability to change direction. He also makes the point that we all have positive and negative thoughts, and if caught in negative we can focus more on the positive ones and reinforce those.
29. Why should we not assume that life and death are equally good? Lin Lei
28. The ambitious try each day to add more and more. Those of Tao each day seek to make themselves less and less. Deng Ming-Dao
27. Never mistake activity for achievement. John Wooden
26. Within each of us is a fountain of knowledge, wisdom, and creativity. It is good to clear our mind each day so that new life and creativity can flow from the fountain. Deng Ming-Dao
25. People tell themselves stories and then pour their lives into the stories they tell. Anonymous
24. A person is what their deep desire is. It is our deepest desire in this life that shapes the life to come. So let us direct our deepest desires to realize the Self. The Chandogya Upinshad, Chapter 111
23. Is there any human ailment for which more love is not an effective intervention? Wm. Berry
22. The creatures that inhabit this earth-be they human beings or animals-are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world. The Dalai Lama
21. Sitting quietly, doing nothing, Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself. Lao Tzu
20. Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Lao Tzu
19. The function of meditation is to give you the space, to give you the understanding, to give you the feel of aloneness, and the experience of relating without getting into relationship. Osho
18. It is a challenge to avoid overextending oneself. The essence of following Tao is to find the middle. Those who follow avoid extremes. They seldom take absolute positions. All things have their time and place and the wise thread a path through the middle. Deng Ming Dao
17. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live. Irish saying
16. Conditioning is like a knot that uses the mind as a rope to strangle the heart. David Brazier, Zen Therapy
15. All beings form a ceaseless transforming whole. Therefore, the Wise do not praise or blame this person or that person, but give all their praise to the cosmic Oneness. The Yellow Emperor
14. We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them. Buddha
12. Those who know how to think need no teachers. Mahatma Gandhi
11. There is a difference between “thinking” and having a thought. Work toward making your thinking mindful. Wm. Berry
10. Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. Dr. Alexis Carrel
9. I have studied grammar, rituals, mathematics, astronomy, logic, economics, physics, psychology, the fine arts, and even snake charming. But all this knowledge has not helped me to know the Self. The Chandogya Upinshad VII
8. A life of reaction is a life of slavery, intellectually and spiritually. One must fight for a life of action, not reaction. Rita Mae Brown
7. For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else. Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. A Facebook Event~ A Day Of Peace: Three Rules:
Say not a single unkind thing about anyone or anything. If at all possible, try not to even think a nasty thought. If we do, reflect on why it was that we thought to say it in the first place.
Show everyone we cross paths with some genuine human compassion. Be it with a smile or kind words, just spread some love.
Make not one person the exception to the rule. Not everyone deserves to have roses thrown at their feet and have a holiday in their honor, but nobody deserves to feel alone. Reach out. Talk to someone new. Care about them, and we will be cared for in return.
3. The flickering, fickle mind, difficult to guard, difficult to control – the wise person straightens it as a fletcher straitens an arrow. Dhammapada 3, v. 1 (Zen Therapy, David Brazier)
2. Our body needs peace of mind and is not suited to agitation. This shows that an appreciation for peace of mind is in our blood. Dalai Lama
1. He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg. Chinese Proverb